Joe Pender Wildlife Photography

Thursday 19 February 2015

Drake long-tailed Duck


The Long-tailed ducks  breeding habitat is in tundra pools and marshes, but also along sea coasts and in large mountain lakes in the North Atlantic region, Alaska, northern Canada, northern Europe and Russia. The nest is located on the ground near water; it is built using vegetation and lined with down. They are migratory and winter along the eastern and western coasts of North America, on the Great Lakes, coastal northern Europe and Asia, with stragglers to the Black Sea. The most important wintering area is the Baltic Sea, where a total of about 4.5 million gather.

4 comments:

  1. Great pictures!!!!! I have only seen two in my life and they were a long way away from me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a newbie Port Macquarie Photographer. Wild life photography and industrial photography are my fields of interest. So it will be great if you can share some tips for improving my skills.

    ReplyDelete